Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Pic Today 12/30/09
EAT like your life depended on it ('cause it does!)
Michael Pollan (author of The Ominvore's Dilemma) is out with a new book, FOOD RULES An Eater's Manual. It's chock full of smart, life saving food rules to take to the market. Here's a few:
1. Don't buy anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food.
2. Don't buy anything that lists sugar in its first three ingredients.
3. Shop the peripheries of the supermarket and stay away from the middle.
4. If it came from a plant, buy it. If it was made in a plant, pass it by.
5. If it says lite, low-fat, or non-fat on the package, put it down.
6. Foods making health claims on the package are not foods you want to buy.
7. Avoid food that is advertised on television.
8. Get out of the supermarket. Look to farmer's markets.
Smart tips on choosing and eating food that's really food . . . healthy for our bodies and our families. If you haven't read any of Michael Pollan's books, it will change the way you shop, the way you live.
Good life style resolution for the new year . . . eat well, live well. Enjoy.
Posted by Rick Forrestal