Magnificent MUDD'S GROVE . . . 150 years of history . . . a treasure worth saving.
One of Kirkwood's earliest homes, this brick 3-story "Greek revival" mansion was completed in 1860 . . . and served as the residence of Henry and Sarah Mudd (and their 7 children) until 1882.
During Mudd's tenure in the State Legislature, he helped frame the Missouri Constitution of 1875, and also served as curator at the University of Missouri.
Subsequent owners made changes and improvements, including a hearth room, 3-car garage and wraparound porch. The future upkeep and destiny of Mudd's Grove came into question during the 1980s, and it was subsequently purchased by the Kirkwood Historical Society in 1992. The society operates it as a museum and resource center/library, including an on-site Gate House Gift Shop.
Many donations (cash & materials) have been made to preserve and restore this important Missouri home . . . and a capital drive is now underway to complete essential repairs (a leaky roof is in danger of causing water damage.) SAVE MUDD'S GROVE signs are popping up throughout Kirkwood, reminding residents their contributions are needed to protect this community landmark.
Donations are greatly appreciated -- Kirkwood Historical Society, P.O. Box 220602, Kirkwood, Missouri 63122.
Do stop by and see this magnificent residence and furnishings. View elegant living 150 years ago.
Mudd's Grove is located at 302 West Argonne (at the corner of Harrison), 3 blocks west of Kirkwood Road. For information or tours, call (314) 965-5151.