Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pic Today 1/20/11


WHY WELLS ARE GOOD LUCK

Since the beginning of time,
man has valued water as a sacred resource.
Because drinkable water is so vitally necessary,
most cultures built structures such as wells
to protect springs and other sources of water.

Considering the abundance of water on Earth,
clean potable drinking water is extremely rare.
Numerous beliefs and superstitions are associated
with wells (as a source of life-giving water)
by many cultures throughout history,
including the belief that if someone
looks into a well, the water would grant a wish
and even reveal the face of the viewer's future spouse.

The idea of throwing a coin into a wishing well is ancient.
Some cultures believed that standing over a well
and making a wish while drinking the water,
would grant a wish.

The gods, however, were unlikely to give away
something for nothing, and therefore
most wishers left offerings . . .
or a coin thrown in for payment.

Except for modern wells with electric pumps,
most of the world's wells are still hand dug
and feature hand-cranked buckets or bags
at the end of a rope.

When was the last time you threw a coin
in a fountain or well?
(Did your wish come true?)


10 comments:

  1. water ... genuine conflicts well how many more have been carried out by the water?

    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  2. so charming!

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say that the eyes are the mirror of the soul, I also love eyes, eyes that say it all, I thank your sight here always dear friend. a kiss
    Andréa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this one, Rick!

    Have a nice day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm... let me think.

    Two or three years ago maybe?
    But, i don't remember my wish, shortly time memory, sometimes it helps, sometimes it don't..

    But, my last wish without a fountain or a well was with an eyelash between my friend's finger and mine.. Maybe it sounds ware but it's common here haha u should try ;)

    oxox from Argentina!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a shame you can't read what I wrote..

    Diferent languages sometimes is a problem, it cost to me a little bit understand what is stated above, but i got the principal idea haha

    Take care Riiick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. when I tossed my coins.......all wells were shallow :( ......so now I save my pennies :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post

    Your concept reminds me of the novel 'The Source' a historical novel by James A. Michener.

    joanny

    ReplyDelete