Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pic Today 1/26/11







WOVEN ART OF COLOMBIA

The indigenous tribes of Colombia
weave great art in their tapestries, rugs and bags,
drawing from the colors and designs of nature
and defining their unique cultural identity.

The Wayúu Indians believe their weaving skills
were handed down from the spider as an ancient art form.
They create one-of-a-kind mochilas (knapsacks),
each one taking 20 days to hand stitch.

The Arhuaco tribe, high in the mountains of Northern Colombia,
create authentic hand-woven shoulder bags,
called mochilas, in earth tone browns and tans,
representing a spiritual artisan tradition
that goes back over 1,000 years.
Mochilas are tightly woven from hand-dyed
sheep's and goat's wool, and wear like steel,
but remain soft and supple.
Each design is unique and has spiritual significance
to their indigenous culture.

Whether a rug, blanket or bag,
each hand woven Colombian piece is
a true work of art.


14 comments:

  1. Lovely colors, is a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, such amazing colors!
    This makes me smile.. ;)

    Must have been a lovely trip!
    Love/E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great series Rick, so much colour, makes me want to wear something bright today,,,M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful photos, full color, perfect.

    Thank you for your visit.
    I'm following him.

    Kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are beautiful shapes, colors and structures. The first picture is my favorit

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the patterns and colors here, and I like that this is handmade. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The designs woven in the patterns are intriguing - the dyes get to that saturated glorious colors are amazing. The photos are perfect to give us the favor of what this culture produces in spiritual art forms.

    Thanks also for the well thought out text of a little of the historic art background.

    Joanny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ricky!
    What a surprise see you in my blog.
    Did you understand my poems?
    Thanks a lot for the coments and sorry my mistakes, my english is really terrible.
    I didn't get where are you from.
    I am brazilian and I live in the south of my country,one hour from Uruguay.

    Keep in touch,ok?

    See you.

    kiss

    milene

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting ... I loved the variety of your blog!

    kisses!

    Zil

    ReplyDelete
  10. HELLO THANK YOU FOR VISIT MY PAGE HAVE A NICE WEEEKEND KISS TALIÁ.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful series of photos Rick! It's indeed the same spirit of the mexican handcrafts. I enjoy this explotion of colours... so full of joy...
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete