The little known Shrine of St. Joseph church,
built in 1844 at the corner of 11th Street & Biddle,
was founded by Austrian Jesuits in north St. Louis
for the rapidly expanding German immigrant community.
This beautiful old church is site of the only
Vatican authenticated miracle in the Midwest (1864)
and still home to the Altar of Answered Prayers
when "not one parishioner" died during
a cholera epidemic in the surrounding neighborhood
which averaged 20 burials a day (1866-67).
A dying parishioner, Peter Claver, came to the church
in his final hours in March of 1864,
and was allowed to kiss a sacred relic . . .
when he immediately experienced a resurgence of strength.
Within days, he was able to return to work
and was restored to full health months later.
This miracle was formally declared authentic
by Cardinal Bianchi, in Rome in 1887.
Visitors from around the world
come visit this beautiful church and altar
to ask for their prayers to be answered.