SITE OF ORIGINAL FRENCH SETTLER,
CONFIRMED IN ST. CHARLES, MISSOURI
A student archeological "dig" has confirmed
the original site of French fur trader, Louis Blanchette,
at the site of the oldest house in Missouri.
In "old town" St. Charles, Missouri,
a discovery of artifacts has confirmed
the original permanent settlement at St. Charles in 1765.
Blanchette paddled a 20-foot canoe from Quebec City,
1300 miles across the Great Lakes,
down the Illinois, Mississippi and Missouri rivers,
finally arriving at the settlement,
originally named Les Cotes Petites (Little Hills),
later named St. Charles, just west of St. Louis.
Blanchette, although illiterate, married an Indian girl
and was instrumental in founding this permanent settlement.
Not until the discovery of artifacts placing his arrival
in 1765 (prior to Lewis & Clark's arrival)
has his settlement date been clearly established.
Artifacts found in this 4-foot square dig include
French ceramic 18th-century fragments,
Blanchette's original house foundation,
pottery, Indian arrow heads, and glass fragments,
all pre-dating 1770.
(St. Charles was the original state capital of Missouri,
and the embarkation point for the Lewis & Clark expedition.)