Saturday, June 18, 2011

Pic Today 6/18/11




GOOD NEWS:
THE CICADAS HAVE GONE
BACK IN THE GROUND

Peace has returned to the land.

Our noisy visitors - the periodic cicadas -
have come to the end of their 4-week visit,
and have now molted, mated and burrowed
back into the ground . . . until 2024, that is.

While they were here, the internet was abuzz
with recipes featuring our noisy visitors, including:
cicada pie (pictured here), cicada pizza, cicada tacos,
even cicada ice cream!

Cicadas are members of anthropoda,
the same food group as lobster and shrimp.

Many other countries feature dishes with fried or cooked
insects, such as crickets, grub worms, termites and ants.
(A plentiful source of protein.)

No thank you!

7 comments:

  1. noooooooooooooooooooooooo me lo puedo creer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God! Next time I check your new post, I'll be more careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uy Rick, muy bonito animalito, acá hay muchos y como hacen ruido,Eh! pero eso del plato con ellos, ummm no gustaaaaa jajaja, excelente fotos amigo, un besote

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad we don't have these noisy visitors around here :)

    Hugs,
    Signe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Yum! Hahahhaha! No thanks. I'll eat roots and bark first. :) Great capture of the molting one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I don't think so!!! :-)
    Great shots Rick!

    ReplyDelete