Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Pic Today 7/13/11




WHY MANY OLD BOTTLES
ARE BLUE

Bottle collectors will tell you
most older bottles they find
(especially those found outside)
are blue!

Commercial glass bottles and jars
from the 18th, 19th and early 20th century
contain large amounts of lead.
This lead glass, originally colorless,
gradually turns blue when exposed to sunlight.

You can place a 19th century clear bottle
in the sunshine over the summer
and it will start turning blue by year's end.

It's quite common to find older glass canning jars
in beautiful shades of blue and green.
(And they're still perfectly safe for storing food.)


8 comments:

  1. Una buena composición de botellas, algunas con bastantes años, me gusta especialmente la tercera de las fotos, la encuentro muy agradable visualmente, recibe un abrazo amigo Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love glass bottles! They're such beautiful ornaments in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is my favorite post!
    I love to collect bottles, and of course one of my favorite color is blue!

    xx Ilka

    ReplyDelete
  4. you naughty Ricky, I simply can't resist posting with comments like that ;)
    as for the bottles, I've always wondered how come there are so many green or greenish ones... true story !! All my love :*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I collect bottles, and like them in blue and green coulor. This post was so great. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And to think I just thought they were colored that way!
    These are all beautiful, and would make some gorgeous photo props!
    Thank you so much for sharing the info about them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hummm... didn't know it was because the sun...:)
    i love bottles :))
    xoxo Rick :)

    ReplyDelete