Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pic Today 7/20/11








96-MILLION GALLONS EVERY DAY

Missouri's 5th largest spring,
Maramec Spring (spelled correctly),
pours 96-million gallons of pure cold water, every day,
into the Meramec River (spelled correctly)!

(As to the different spellings of the "spring" vs. the "river",
don't ask. There's an argument that dates back to the early 1800s.
Anyway, the spring is Maramec; the river is Meramec.)

This famous spring was the site of the earliest iron works,
west of the Mississippi, dating back to the 1830's . . .
an important source of Union cannon balls during the Civil War.

Today it's the site of a trout hatchery, and
important feeder spring to the beautiful Meramec River.
The cold spring waters create a wonderful mist
as they meet the hot summer air.

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, beautiful place.

    Oa.s

    ReplyDelete
  2. this makes me really speechless... I want to be there now... wonderful pictures...

    Yesterday I went out for a walk and was thinking about making a video for you to show you where I live... My beloved park with wonderful old tree population, my river, my birds singing so loud in the morning... very unique here in northern Germany... It's way too expensive and I can't live here forever but I will never forget this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Que lugar tan bello para sentarse y disfrutar del lindo paisaje, preciosas fotos amigo Rick, recibe un fuerte abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next to next year I would be there proably :-)

    Love,
    Bhags

    ReplyDelete
  5. ♥ •˚。
    °° 。♥。

    FELIZ DIA DOS AMIGOS!!!

    ♥ •˚。
    °° 。♥。

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place. You got so wonderful photos of it. Great job from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have reflected the beautiful moments of this place. It's a privilege, living next to such a park.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are wonderful photographs Rick, and it looks like a fantastic place to be. Especially now to me when it is so very hot and humid here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think mist and fog must be the photograghers best friends,,,M

    ReplyDelete