Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pic Today 10/16/11







MISSOURI PECANS:
A HARD NUT TO CRACK

Pecans are species of the American hickory nut,
and a major crop in Missouri.

As pecan nuts split open (in October),
they fall to the ground.
If the squirrels and deer don't beat you to it,
pecans are easily collected beneath the tree.
The outer husk is easily removed
revealing the hard inner pecan shell.
(Local indians used rocks to smash these nuts open.)

Delicious pecan "meats" are a good source
of protein, and rich in omega-6 fatty acids.

And fresh baked pecan pies are a delicious treat.
(And yes, I ate that first slice of pie.)
YUM!

11 comments:

  1. Pecan pie is one of my favorites. Yum!!! I can taste it as I type. I love Thanksgiving because I get to eat pumpkin pie and pecan pie. In Texas some of us call it Pee-can pie. Either way, it's delicious. I also love plain pecans. This is the first time I have seen the pecan nut splitting. I never knew that. Thank you for sharing. Hope you have a wonderful Sunday! Tsup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a walnut tree planted in the field is still young ... I hope to grow healthy and strong.
    Another thing to remember that life is amazing and special ...
    Rick photographs with soul.
    Now I have hunger, hahaha ...
    ;)
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy yummy.....y que hambre!!!!

    I wish you a happy day Rick!
    Elena

    ReplyDelete
  4. °º✿ Olá, amigo!
    º° ✿✿♥ ° ·.
    Isso é tudo de bom....
    °º♫
    °º✿ Boa semana!
    º° ✿♥ ♫° ·.
    Beijinhos.
    Brasil ♥♥•˚。
    °° 。♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adoro pecans... Trazem gosto de infância, de casa dos avós... de delícias que a mãe da gente faz...


    bjkas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great sequence!

    That pie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nie znałem takich orzechów. Też zjadłbym taki kawałek ciasta.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pecans, these look especially good, I think that pie looks delicious,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rick, after your words and photos, nothing better than enjoying the pie, looks great!

    oa.s

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the best things about this time of year, and this one looks so yummy!!!
    So now I'm wanting pecan pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! the first slice_____
    I was mouth water!
    Here in Brazil we also have pecans!
    are delicious!

    ReplyDelete