Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pic Today 10/19/11














TIME TO CURE FRESH OLIVES

California new crop olives have arrived.
Time to cure a batch.

1. Clean the curing jars.
2. Rinse and check olives.
3. Prepare curing ingredients:

o Sliced lemons
o Fresh oregano
o Fresh garlic
o Jalapeno peppers
o 1-cup vinegar
o 1/4-cup olive oil
o juice of 1 lemon

4. Dissolve salt to make brine
(Add salt until egg floats!)
5. Layer ingredients with olives
6. Cover with vinegar/brine mixture

Loosely cover and let cure for 4-6 months
in cool, dark place.

My Sicilian friend, John, cures his own
family recipe of olives each fall.

Yes, they taste better than "store bought."







9 comments:

  1. I like very much olives, thank you for showing us how to prepare them,

    Have a nice day Rick
    oa.s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ... I make the recipe, I have olives in the field!
    I love this story!
    My recipe is different, in a week you can eat, but do not miss the lemon ...
    The Chafe, water, salt, lemon and eaten in a week ... ah! and leaves of lemon!
    Amrgas are, but I like!
    Thanks !!!!!
    Kisses, thousands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love olives! even in my shampoos :P Good luck with your winter coat! May it be comfortable and classy :)
    xo, A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love olives! Hehe winter coat "classy and fabulous" ~Coco Chanel~!
    xx Hugs Ilka

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will always be best when they are homemade. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Estupenda manera de enseñarnos a guardar las aceitunas,con unas imágenes muy explicativas.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's interesting,
    I did not know the ingredients
    for curing olives!
    and photos, wonderful as always!

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen this process in real life. I'm convinced that it must be delicious. Too bad we aren't neighbours :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely colors and compsositions
    Nice weekend
    Elektra

    ReplyDelete