Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pic Today 12/13/11





SPRINGERLE COOKIES:
ROLLED & PRESSED ART

These shaped-and-stamped German cookies
are a sure sign Christmas must be near.

The recipe for these traditional holiday treats
has remained unchanged since the 15th century.
Originally baked to honor "Church Holy Days"
in Bavaria and Austria, springerle cookies
have become a favorite at Christmas time
for Germans worldwide.

Original molds were hand carved,
depicting ornate scenes and designs,
and can occasionally be found in antique shops.

Here goes . . .

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons butter (soft)

Beat for 15 minutes.
(Important: beat until fluffy)

Add
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 drops anise oil
zest of 1 lemon

Mix, just to combine
Roll out dough to 1/2-inch thick
press in images
Cut and lay onto sheet pan
Let sit out overnight (uncovered)

Bake 325˚ for 40 minutes
(don't let cookies brown)

Enjoy the traditional centuries-old
taste of springerle Christmas cookies.





9 comments:

  1. The shape is very beautiful, thanks for the recipe.. I will try to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love german cookies! Looks so nice!
    xx Ilka

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! I bought some from Williams Sonoma years ago. I just love European cookies especially German. You just reminded me, I need to go shopping. I like shopping for food gifts during Christmas! Keep warm. I may try this recipe if I can find anise oil. Yum. My mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to eat them but without cooking it :P . Loved the caption "ROLLED & PRESSED ART".

    TAKE CARE,
    Bhags

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maravilha!

    Deliciosos,


    Encantadores

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful cookies. Great photos of them to.
    Have a nice week to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Appetizing, it has been many years since I like these cookies, you gave a good idea for Christmas this year, and sent us the recipe ... I will prepare.
    My father is German and my grandmother preparing traditional hot cross buns ... I do not know if it's the same recipe, but she brought from there and when we were kids and every year the cookies were not lacking on the table ... miss the goodies in my grandmother, who now lives in Brazil and is now 82 years old.

    a great big hug for you

    Merry X'mas
    Frohe Weihnachten

    Giovanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had these for years! i remember loving them, spent hours studying them before eating, another great memory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo, these look yummy!
    Thank you so much for sharing the recipe here.

    ReplyDelete