ROUTE 66 BRIDGE
STILL TAKES PEOPLE ACROSS
THE MIGHTY MISSISSIPPI
In 1929, the "Chain of Rocks" bridge
took cars across the Mississippi
on U.S. Route 66.
The bridge, with its famous 22-degree bend
in the middle of the crossing, became unsafe
(and "way too narrow" for 2-way auto traffic)
and so was closed in 1970.
After years of avoiding demolition,
the bridge has been renovated for pedestrian
and bicycle use, and is a popular trail today
for hikers and bikers.
The original pavement of concrete aggregate
is still in use from the 1929 construction.
The St. Louis Gateway arch and city skyline
are visible downriver, and immediately downstream
from the bridge are two water intakes
for the St. Louis Waterworks.
(Gothic and Roman style architecture.)