Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pic Today 7/25/12







ONE FLOWER
THAT THRIVES IN THIS HEAT

The prickly pear cactus (opuntia)
stands tall in local gardens,
and brings flowers forward
despite the drought.

Its ripe fruit (the pears) are delicious
in jams and desserts.
Its paddles (nopales) are harvested
and a popular ingredient in Mexican dishes.

The paddles are cleaned, carefully, and
scraped of their sharp needles,
then boiled in salt water for 10 minutes
before being chopped and sautéed
as a delicious ingredient in scrambled eggs,
salsa, tacos and baked potatoes.

Finally . . .
a beautiful and delicious garden crop
for our record heat and drought spell.
(Today it was 108˚ in St. Louis.)



8 comments:

  1. OH!! ... I love cactus gardens. This flower pictures are just stunningly beautiful!

    wish you a blessed day my friend!

    hugs from
    isabella

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful flower ! I don't know this jam,but I would like to eat with some french bread lol !
    have a nice day Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cactus :)
    and jams and desserts hm sounds good!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a lot, I eat them raw ...
    Rick, I hope you take it easy the heat ...
    The photos are outstanding!
    A kiss or two ...
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I can't grow them? I kill mine. But my son's cacti are thriving. These are beautiful! The one above looks like a rose. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And in that kinda crazy heat you are drinking water from time to time right?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you know I needed reminding?

      (I'm grabbing a big glassful RIGHT NOW.)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!
    Hug.

    ReplyDelete