Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pic Today 7/26/12







THE NOT-SO-MIGHTY
M I S S I S S I P P I

Rivers throughout Missouri are
at historic low levels
due to the sustained drought,
but none are affecting the area (and nation)
as dramatically as the Mississippi River.

Fact is, most of the nation's commodity freight
(e.g. corn, wheat, coal, mined ore, etc.)
travels by barge . . . and 90% of the nation's barges
travel on the mighty Mississip!

But with no rain, river levels are low . . .
too low to float a full barge.
Barge lines must reduce their loads
or run the risk of getting stuck.
That increases freight costs and delays shipments.

The Mississippi River at St. Louis
is 13-feet below normal
(55-feet lower than last year's floods.)

That's a lot of water we don't have.
A lot of rain we do need.


4 comments:

  1. This post make us think about saving water. A beautiful and world wide famous river so thirsty it's a very sad scene, Rick. Hope it begins to rain soon! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame what happens ...
    I hope that when the rains did not natural disasters ...
    I think there will be disasters around the world ... is not normal so hot ....
    Rick, kisses!
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, a lot of water needed, in the right amount at the right time. your photos show the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick, thank you for your visit and your comment on my blog today. Nice series of shots for today. I sure hope you get some rain soon.

    ReplyDelete