BLAMED AND PRAISED
Considered a weed in North America
and prized as a garden plant in Europe,
Goldenrod is a greatly misunderstood plant
(which is widely in bloom this first day of fall.)
Among its fame and reputation, Goldenrod is:
1. Blamed for causing hay fever.
2. Held as a sign of good luck and fortune.
3. A favorite food of butterflies.
4. A traditional kidney tonic in herbal medicine.
5. A source of rubber during World War II.*
*The tires on a Model T given to Thomas Edison
by his friend, Henry Ford, were made from Goldenrod.