Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pic Today 9/26/12








TROPICAL DRAGONS
IN RED AND YELLOW

When I first tried a pitaya fruit
(at the market, while living in Colombia),
I fell in love with its sweet, exotic flavor,
its meaty texture and crunchy seeds.

This bright yellow fruit grows on cactus
and is an excellent digestive aid.
(But "don't eat too much", I was warned,
"too many seeds can be toxic.")

So I ate one a day, and never had a digestive problem.
My trail snacks, before hiking anywhere,
were always the same . . .
pitaya, passion fruit and dark chocolate!

It seems pitaya and dragon fruit, its look-alike
red cousin, are "one and the same."
Red dragon fruits, marketed in the U.S.,
are actually less sweet than the yellow Colombian pitaya,
and suffer from the delay and refrigeration
of mass market distribution.

If you ever have the chance to try either one,
enjoy it fresh, at room temperature.
Just slice it in half, and eat by the spoonful.

But not too much . . .

4 comments:

  1. I think I have to try those delicios fruits :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good piece of information but all I can remember is chocolate :) ;)

    Lots of love,
    Bhags

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boa tarde amigo!Vim fazer uma visitinha e deixar o meu beijo!


    Beijosssssssssssss

    ReplyDelete