Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pic Today 12/16/12







THE CLOSER YOU GET,
THE MORE YOU CAN FEEL IT

While in Washington, D.C.
I had a taxi drop me off 
at the Lincoln Memorial at night.

This popular national monument
never closes, and is especially uncrowded
on winter weeknights, in the later hours.

Even from the start of my climb
(there are 98 steps to Lincoln's pedestal),
I could feel the grandeur of this imposing 
limestone and marble monument.
With each step, the scale and majesty of
the huge pillars framed our 16th president
as he sat before his visitors.

The statue became bigger and bigger,
while the surroundings grew quieter and quieter.
The closer I got,
the more I could feel the reverence of this special place.

Abraham Lincoln was enormous,
surrounded by the words of his famous 
Gettysburg address.

I was one-on-one, alone face-to-face
with one of our greatest presidents.
It was an emotional experience
which I won't soon forget.


3 comments:

  1. wow, great experience and fantastics pics Rick!! I can feel what you say!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnificent Rick! Respect!

    Have a very happy Sunday.

    Love,
    BHags

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I can't imagine how you felt, Rick. It must be good to admire a president as you do. Although I dont like the building's architecture, the statue is beautiful and impressive. xo

    ReplyDelete