Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pic Today 8/27/14



WHO OWNS
A MONKEY "SELFIE"

While photographing wildlife
in the Indonesian forest in 2011,
photographer David Slater
set up his tripod on the island of Sulawesi.

When he walked away for a few moments,
a band of crested macaque monkeys moved in.
A curious macaque grabbed his camera,
  and started taking pictures . . .

including this now famous "selfie."

After posting this photo on social media,
Slater fought for media rights and compensation
for the self-shot animal photo.
Wikimedia has held that the image is
"public domain", as Slater didn't take the photo.

The monkey did.   Of course.

(I think the monkey is actually smiling!)

6 comments:

  1. I loved the selfie :)

    But the photographer should get his due.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. El selfie es genial, pero si yo fuera el fotógrafo estaría enfadadísimo.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. __David S, to use "today's logic," could say: -I hired that monkey... to take my 'personal' photograph-, David's hand is reaching out; 10 bananas!
    __That first picture reminds me... one of my professors
    from long years ago. _m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, this photo is quite controversial, considering the perfect framing and sharpness!
    I don't know what game Slater is playing - I am not sure at all the monkey was the photographer - but since this is what he first declared, he finds himself in a stupid mess! LOL!

    ReplyDelete