Friday, April 10, 2015

Pic Today 4/10/15



SANDY CREEK BRIDGE
HILLSBORO, MISSOURI

. . . one of 3 covered bridges
remaining in Missouri.

Sandy Creek bridge is a "truss bridge"
built originally in 1872 on the
Hillsboro and Lemay Ferry gravel road
that connected Hillsboro and St. Louis.

The bridge was washed away by flood waters
in May 1886, but was salvaged and rebuilt
the following August.

Covered bridges were used to preserve the
wooden decks of important thoroughfares,
from rain and snow.

(This one's a beauty!)

12 comments:

  1. Remaind me about "The Bridges of Madison County"...
    Very nice :)
    /Halina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like covered bridges, do not know why but I find very romantics.
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete

  3. It's a bridge??
    Remarkable!!

    Big hug...
    (^^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mi también me ha recordado Los Puentes de Madison.
    Un abrazo, Rick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful place I see Clint Eatswood and Meryl Streep there.

    Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excelentes tomas Rick, el puente es una maravilla.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never before seen such a covered bridge.
    I looked at the first, that a large garage.
    Really good seems to protect against inclement weather.
    Fresh pictures.
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rick Love this bridge architecture. I know the US physically, but I am passionate about his country and culture. And I know this bridge documentaries I've ever seen! Nice post and photos!
    kisses
    xxx ooo

    http://simplesmentelilly.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lugares con encanto, con mucho encanto.
    Mi abraz✴

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see the pic, the bridge, and only can think on a kiss... a very very hot (but romantic as well) kiss :)

    ReplyDelete