Friday, April 15, 2016

Pic Today 4/15/16






PROPAGATING MORELS

After collecting fresh morel mushrooms,
I've decided to attempt growing
my own crop of these rare morels.

The recipe and technique is complicated,
but this season I'm giving it a try.

Collecting fresh morels, mixing their spores
with rice and rye berries, and wood chips;
letting the spores feed and grow
(in the refrigerator);
then straining the slurry into spring water,
mixing in molasses, and aerating the mixture.

By now, this liquid is full of millions of new spores,
which I pour in a shaded moist area,
preferably around an ash tree or decayed stump.
(See above.)

Then soak the spore liquid deep in the soil.
And then (with luck), next Spring season.
Voila!

 
  (Wish me luck.)

6 comments:

  1. The cultivation of morels is very difficult ...
    this is why they are very expensive !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thing to experiment with. I can't wait to hear the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, I would have never thought they could be propagated this way!
    You'll have to keep us posted about the results, I am VERY curious!!!

    ReplyDelete