HOW TO CREATE
YOUR OWN DAYLILY
According to the American Hemerocallis Society
(at Iowa State University)
there are 65,000 registered daylily cultivars
So many spectacular, beautiful
color combinations and varieties.
As seen in the ones shown here
(photographed at Missouri Botanical Garden.)
And you can create your own cultivator!
It's easy, but unpredictable.
1. Have two or more daylily varieties in bloom.
2. Get up early one morning,
before the pollinating insects do.
3. Take the pollen from the stamens(6) of one,
4. Rub on the tip of the pistil of another
(The pistil is the long one.)
5. Cover the pollinating flower head with plastic.
6. Wait until the seed fruit forms, and let dry.
The seeds for your new variety are inside,
and ready to plant.
(The results are 100% unpredictable,
so good luck.)