Saturday, July 2, 2016

Pic Today 7/2/16









HOW TO CREATE
YOUR OWN DAYLILY

According to the American Hemerocallis Society 
(at Iowa State University)
there are 65,000 registered daylily cultivars
(and counting.)

So many spectacular, beautiful
color combinations and varieties.
As seen in  the ones shown here
(photographed at Missouri Botanical Garden.) 

And you can create your own cultivator!
It's easy, but unpredictable.
Here's how:

1.  Have two or more daylily varieties in bloom.
2.  Get up early one morning,
before the pollinating insects do.
3.  Take the pollen from the stamens(6) of one,
4.  Rub on the tip of the pistil of another
(The pistil is the long one.)
5.  Cover the pollinating flower head with plastic.
6.  Wait until the seed fruit forms, and let dry.

Voila!
The seeds for your new variety are inside,
and ready to plant.

(The results are 100% unpredictable,
so good luck.) 

Who knows? 
 

6 comments:

  1. 'Unpredictable' sounds like a lot of fun in gardening! At one time I would have been keen on trying but my interests go elsewhere nowadays!
    A tip many will enjoy, no doubt.
    Enjoy your weekend Rick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many different beautiful daylilies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful captures. I love daylilies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me gusta sentir las flores tan cerca que al cerrar los ojos su aroma traspase la pantalla.

    Gracias por hcerlo posible.
    Mi abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick, you know I love flowers... therefore it was very difficult for me to read the text you wrote because I couldn't take my eyes off these beautiful pics of yours...

    (I really love flowers... but I'm a lousy gardner...)

    Coloured kisses
    (^^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous flowers! And the colours...

    I like to water the plants, the flowers, the grass... this is as far as I go in terms of gardening....

    ReplyDelete