Monday, October 24, 2016

Pic Today 10/24/16







WORLD'S BEST APPLE BUTTER

Quite possibly!
at Odelehr Farms in Brussels, Illinois.
I consider myself a connoisseur of
small batch, hand-stirred apple butter.

Fortunately, I live close to 
the prized apple orchards 
in Calhoun County, Illinois
(a short drive across the Mississippi
from St. Louis.)

10 years ago, I happened upon a 
roadside farm stand offering 
local apple butter . . .
Mrs. Odelehr's Farm, Brussels, Illinois.

It's been a love affair ever since!

Her secret to the best apple butter:

1.  Freshest local apples.
2.  Washed, cored and sliced.
3.  Cooked and hand stirred in
       solid copper kettles, 24 hours. 
4.  Cinnamon and sugar to taste
(not too sweet.)

Final taste test:
Spoon liberally on warm buttered bread.

Yum!

(Thank you, Mrs. Odelehr.)

10 comments:

  1. Te envio mi pagina de poesias por si deseas visitarla.
    Gracias
    http://anna-historias.blogspot.com.es/2016/10/rio-parido-del-deshielo-apunado-en-el.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnífica para un buen desayuno.
    Un abrazo Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uau! It made me hungry! :)

    Kisses, Rick :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiene que ser un desayuno delicioso. Esos calderos tienen una pinta muy auténtica.
    Saludos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been awhile since I've had apple butter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never tasted apple butter. I do not remember ever seeing it in the supermarket. Will look for it... for sure!!! Today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is always nice to visit you blog..its like what is he showing today?how nice that jar of apple butter..must be ery tasty and good!And i love that lady she looks soo kind!

    Best wishes to you dear friend over the atlantic

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

  8. I also do 'butter' apple, in the same way but sometimes I add raisins.
    Here we do not call apple butter but applesauce.
    Good photos.

    hugs

    · LMA · & · CR ·

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always popular here and I am fortunate to have sweet, local ladies who make their own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exquisita!
    Voy a hacer la receta!
    Un beso amigo!

    ReplyDelete